top of page


Following this step-by-step guide to settlement in Saskatchewan will ease your transition into your new life in Saskatchewan.

Included in this landing guide you will find contact information for each service agency that you will require to begin your new life in Saskatchewan, whether you are moving to the city of Regina, the city of Saskatoon, or the surrounding areas.


Learn more about life in Saskatchewan.

In this Landing Guide to Saskatchewan you'll find information on:

General Information on Saskatchewan

Official provincial immigration website:

Official website of the City ofRegina:

Official website of the City of Saskatoon:

Visit a local tourism office to obtain a free city map and other important information about events at:

Tourism Regina
Highway #1 East
Box 3355
Regina, SK S4P 3H1
306-789-5099, or Toll Free: 1-800-661-5099

Fax: 306-789-3171

Or visit:


Health Care in Saskatchewan

Landed immigrants are eligible for health coverage in Saskatchewan. In order to receive health benefits, you must register with Saskatchewan Health Services and obtain a Health Services card.

For complete information on government funded healthcare in Saskatchewan or to find out how to register, visit: or call 787-3251 in Regina or 1-800-667-7551 elsewhere in the province.


Employment in Saskatchewan

  • Apply for your Social Insurance Number (SIN). For information, visit:

  • Ensure your credentials are assessed with the Canadian Centre for International Credentials by visiting:

  • For trade certification, begin by contacting Red Seal, a nation-wide trade certification organization at:

  • Register with the appropriate provincial regulatory organization for your profession (where applicable)

  • Register for language classes, if required to improve English or French language skills. The University of Saskatchewan offers English as a Second Language (ESL) classes. For more information, visit:


Following these steps will ensure that you are prepared to begin working in Saskatchewan.


Note: Foreign workers must have valid authorization to work in Canada on either a temporary or permanent basis.


Finances in Saskatchewan

Within the first days that you arrive in Saskatchewan, it is advisable to open an account at a local bank or financial institution. Popular banks in Canada include HSBC, Scotia Bank, Royal Bank of Canada (RBC), Bank of Montreal (BMO), TD Canada Trust, the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce (CIBC), National Bank of Canada, and Desjardins Bank. You can find contact information about these banks by searching for them on the internet, or you can simply walk into a local branch and ask for information.

Be sure to make an appointment with a financial advisor at your banking institution, so they can help you organize your finances in Canada, provide you with information on financing home and automobile purchases, inform you about paying for further education for yourself or your family members, and advise you about financially preparing for your retirement.

For general information on banking and financial matters in Saskatchewan and the rest of Canada, visit the Canadian Bankers Association website at:

Important to know: Canadian money is made of cents and dollars. There are 100 cents in 1 Canadian dollar. Currency is found in denominations of coins and bills, or paper currency. Divisions are as below:

  • Coins of 1 cent ($0.01) called the "penny" - Note: the penny is no longer used in commercial transactions

  • Coins of 5 cents ($0.05) called the "nickel"

  • Coins of 10 cents ($0.10) called the "dime"

  • Coins of 25 cents ($0.25) called the "quarter"

  • Coins of 1 dollar ($1.00) called the "loonie" for the Canadian loon featured on the coin

  • Coins of two dollars ($2.00) called the "twoonie" equivalent to two loonies, and

  • Bills of five dollars ($5.00), ten dollars ($10.00), twenty dollars ($20.00), fifty dollars ($50.00) and one hundred dollars ($100.00)


To find out what your home currency is against Canadian currency, talk to a representative from a local bank, or visit this popular currency exchange website:

In Canada, most commonly, transactions are made with cash currency, cheques, debit banking cards, and credit cards.


Tip: If your children that are under 18 years of age, you may be eligible to receive the Canada Child Tax Benefit. For information, visit the website for the Canadian Revenue Agency at, or call toll-free 1-800-959-2221.


Schooling and Education in Saskatchewan

Children under 16 must be registered for school. Schooling generally begins at age four or five. Most children stay in school until they finish high school, generally at 18 years of age.

The Canadian public school system is generally divided into three levels: Elementary, Secondary and Post-Secondary, either college or university. Some districts or private schools may organize their grade levels differently, though education standards are regulated by the provincial government. The academic year for all levels of education begins in September and runs through June for elementary and secondary students, and to April for college and university students.

Standard holidays include Christmas and New Year's holidays in December and January, and a spring break in either March or April. Contact the local school board in your neighbourhood for information on registration.

Drivrs Lic

Obtaining a Driver's Licence in Saskatchewan

If you are planning on renting, leasing, or buying a car, you must have an official Saskatchewan driver's licence. For information on how to obtain a driver's licence, visit:

For specific inquiries contact or call our SGI Customer Service Centre at 1-800-667-9868.


Note: Every vehicle and driver must have insurance. Contact a local insurance provider to become properly insured before you drive.


Housing in Saskatchewan

Saskatchewan has some of the most affordable housing in Canada.

There are multiple different housing options across Canada and Saskatchewan. If you have not visited your new city prior to landing in Saskatchewan, it may be best to rent a temporary apartment when you first arrive, and/or hire a real estate agent to guide you through the housing process and provide you with knowledgeable advice on the best areas for you and your family.

Apartment buildings are large, multi-unit buildings owned by one person or company where each inhabitant rents a unit.


Studio or bachelor apartments are generally one room with a kitchen area and bathroom and are suited only for a single individual. Larger apartments can accommodate families as they have bedrooms and additional living space.


A large multi-unit building where each unit is owned by the inhabitant is called a condominium, and each unit is called a condo.


Often apartments and condos are found in homes that have been divided into separate living spaces.


Houses can be connected in a row, called townhouses or row houses, or detached, as separate, individual dwellings.


Though average living costs vary given size of family, location, and level of income, housing is generally more expensive in cities. As a result, many families choose to live in suburbs which are towns located just outside of the city limits, where housing is more affordable. Suburbs often provide good neighbourhoods, schools, shopping, and healthcare, all within close proximity to the amenities of the city. Housing in the country can be even less expensive and is desirable for many families, but you will require a vehicle in order to travel for your basic needs including groceries, work, school, and healthcare.


Pets: If you are renting your home or live in a condominium, it is important that you ensure pets are legally allowed on the premises before you move in with your family pet, or purchase a family pet.

It is important that you take your family, your place of work, neighbourhood, and finances into account before deciding on a place to live


What can you bring into Canada?

Canada has strict rules concerning what can and cannot be brought into the country. There are regulations regarding food, alcohol, nicotine products, plants, animals, cars and other products. To avoid problems, be sure to check in advance what is and what is not allowed to come to Canada, as well as what procedures must be followed to bring certain items into the country.

For animals and food, contact:
Canadian Food Inspection Agency
Animal Health, Agriculture Canada
59 Camelot Drive
Neapean, Ontario K1A 0Y9

(613)225-2342 (ext:4629)

For automobiles, contact:
Transport Canada
Place de Ville, Tower C
330 Sparks Street
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0N5

(613) 990-2309


Weather in Saskatchewan

Most Canadian cities enjoy very warm summers where temperatures can go above 30 degrees Celsius. However, it can get very cold in almost all parts of Canada in the winter, when temperatures can go below -20, even -30 degrees Celsius. It is very important to ensure that you are prepared for the cold weather. Invest in warm winter clothing, including sweaters, winter jackets, boots, hats, scarves, and gloves or mittens. If you do not dress warmly in the winter you will risk becoming ill or getting frost bite. Frost bite is severe damage to the skin caused by winter wind exposure.

Canadians keep candles and matches, warm blankets, flash lights, first aid kits, and small snow shovels in their cars and homes in case of emergencies. In most parts of Canada your car must have specially designated winter tires in order to legally, and safely, drive in the winter.


Emergency Services in Saskatchewan

In emergency situations, dial 911. By dialling 911, you are connected with an operator who will assist you and dispatch emergency services.

In non-emergency situations, if you only require the police, you can find contact numbers for major cities below.

Regina Police: 306-777-6500

Saskatoon Police: 306-975-8300


Directory of Immigrant-Serving Agencies in Saskatchewan

The Regina Open Door Society (RODS):

The Saskatoon Open Door Society (SODS):

General Disclaimer

The information on this page is a compilation of information from multiple researched sources. Although the information is updated regularly, we are not responsible for information that may have changed subsequently. This is not a federal or provincial government document and neither were involved in collating this information. 

bottom of page