top of page


Individuals who wish to enter Canada, as Permanent or Temporary Residents, must meet the requirements of Canada's Immigration law and regulations, especially as they regard health and security.

For individuals who are inadmissible to Canada, a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) may allow them to enter Canada upon demonstrating that their entry to the country is justified.

What is a TRP?

A document issued to persons who are otherwise inadmissible to Canada, allowing them to enter the country.

A TRP might be useful

For individuals who are inadmissible to Canada on criminal or medical inadmissibility grounds.

Apply for a TRP

At a consulate or (for US citizens and permanent residents only) directly at the Canadian border.

Processing times and government fee

3–6 months (at the consulate), or a few minutes or longer (at the border). A fee of $200 CAD applies.

A TRP may be issued to individuals who would otherwise be inadmissible to Canada because of health or criminality issues, permitting them to enter or stay in Canada, where justified by compelling circumstances.


  • grants legal entry to Canada for a certain period of time;

  • can be applied for at any point (unlike criminal rehabilitation, a TRP is not subject to a certain time frame in relation to the completion of the sentence. An individual can in fact be granted a TRP while still serving a portion of his or her sentence, in certain circumstances); and

  • is issued for the length of the stay in Canada (up to three years) and may be extended from inside Canada.


A Canadian Immigration Visa Officer will consider the inadmissible person's need to enter Canada against the health and security risks to the Canadian population. Applicants must be able to demonstrate that their entry into Canada is justified.

The permit is no longer valid if the holder exits Canada, unless re-entry had been authorized at the time of issuance. The permit can also be cancelled by an officer at any time. In certain circumstances, the holder of a TRP will be granted permanent resident status in Canada.

To apply for a TRP, you will need to submit an application with supporting documents explaining the reason behind your inadmissibility and why your entry into Canada may be justified. If you are a citizen of a visa-exempt country, you will need to apply based on the guidelines set out by your specific country, as the application form may be different.

Applying for a TRP

There are two ways to apply for a TRP:

  • submit an application to the consulate; or

  • apply directly at the border (US citizens and permanent residents only).


Because nationals from countries other than the United States require either a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) or an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to enter Canada, if they want to fly to Canada a consular application is the only option. Processing times vary, depending on where the application was submitted.

US citizens and permanent residents

American citizen and permanent residents (Green Card holders) with time to spare before entering Canada may choose to apply at a consulate. Alternatively, they may submit a TRP application at the port of entry upon entering Canada. The primary advantage of applying in this manner is the speed with which an individual can acquire a TRP, which may be granted in a matter of minutes. The main disadvantage of a port of entry application is the uncertainty; you don’t know whether the TRP will be approved or denied by the immigration officer reviewing the application. If denied, you will not be allowed to enter Canada.

bottom of page